This week we learned about flipped classrooms and related approaches that shift traditionally in-class material online. I have come across the idea of a flipped approach before but primarily as a way to improve access through technology. Considering this method through the lens of: what could I do in class if I didn’t have to spend time lecturing really sparked some thinking about the potential.

Considering the EDCI 336 course delivery: it didn’t strike me as especially out of the ordinary, but after studying flipped learning in more detail it’s clear that’s how it is organized. Perhaps it wasn’t obvious from the start because we’re doing all of our learning online this year, and pre-class readings are common at the post-secondary level. Looking at the course layout more carefully, pre-class material is the course content. The videos and readings are succinct yet cover the content clearly and completely, leaving class time to dive into discussion or get hands on with technology tools. This is in contrast to typical readings which can be sprawling, might inform a topic but not directly cover intended learning, or are redundant because material is covered in class. As a student I’ve found this model to be very effective for 336 – engaging pre-class materials combined with hands on class time, and one on one help as needed.

Imagining how a flipped approach might be adapted to secondary math: it would be great to maximize class time actually doing math: reasoning, authentic problem solving, discussing and debating. A concern I’d have about moving lecture content online pre-class would be that some students would skip it and be lost in class or would force a recap that would undermine the need to prepare. I think ECDI 336 avoids this issue because you can generally still get something out of class even if you missed the pre-class work, and reflections provide a means of accountability to ensure it gets reviewed at some point. All that said, I’d be interested to try some flipped approaches at the secondary level and see how it goes.